St. Helen

Roman Catholic Church

Fort Bridger, WY

37117 I-80 Business Loop

Fort Bridger, WY 82933

Phone: 307-782-6190

Email: sthelensfb@gmail.com

 

Mass~Sunday's 11:00 AM              

Reconciliation Sunday's 10:30 AM

Holy Days 5:15 PM (anticipated the evening before)

 

 

 

St. Helen's Church

Ministries

CCW President, Naomi Stone

Knights of Columbus, Felix Campos

Funeral Service Coordinator, Marie Walker

Director of Religious Education, Chase Bond

 

Parish Council Members

Bob Wilcox, Chairman

Felix Campos, Vice Chairman

Georgene Fagnant, Secretary

Diana Worman

Blanca DeSantiago

Renee Hysell

Ginger Lester

 

Finance Council Members

Pete Roitz, Trustee

Chuck Fagnant, Trustee

Naomi Stone, Financial Secretary

Sarah Fillin, Secretary

History of St. Helen's~Fort Bridger

 

By 1928, there were 16 families in the Fort Bridger vicinity and Mass was celebrated twice a month in the Legion Hall, whenever roads were passable. Eleven children made their First Holy Communion on September 1, 1928, the first regular class in the history of the town. The first Masses in the Bridger Valley were held on the Eardley ranch in Fort Bridger in the early 1900's to about 1916. Later, Masses were held at the Mary Sheehan Watson ranch in the Miburne area. Fr. O'Connor is fondly remembered by longtime parishioners, Dorothy O'Connor and Eleanor Staniforth. He performed the wedding of both Dorothy and her husband Hary, and Eleanor and her husband Thomas. Fr. O'Connor was well liked in the community. He was transferred to Torrington in January 1932.

The next resident pastor, Rev. Edward Cassidy, was to serve St. Helen's Mission for 19 years.

 

In 1934 plans were made to build a church at Fort Bridger. There were now 20 familes and the hall they had been using was no longer suitable. A gift of $3,000 was received from the Catholic Extension Society and the church was dedicated November 11, 1935, free from debt on land donated by Algino Fillin, the local blacksmith and craftsman.

 

The Catholic population in the Bridger Valley continued to grow and on June 24, 1970, groundbreaking was held for a Church Center. The dediccaiton of the new facility was on December 3, 1970.

St Helen of the Cross

Patron Saint

St. Helen of the Cross

St. Helen Bingo Tuesday night bingo still begins at 6:45 at the Legion Hall. Come out and support the Knights of Columbus.

 

Billboard sign N of Interstate